This program is created to provide an immersive learning opportunity for college students and graduates to be part of the sanctuary team. Black Pine Animal Sanctuary is a “no direct contact’ facility, accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries. In accordance with this accreditation, there is no contact with the animals except for medical care by the highly trained team of Lead Keepers and only for the animals’ well-being. There is also no interaction with potentially dangerous animals. Since the Internship Program’s beginning in 2005 over 225 people have completed the program and gone on to work in veterinary clinics, research facilities, zoos, refuges and sanctuaries all over the country.
- 18 years or older with valid driver’s license, and reliable transportation.
- Available to work weekdays and some weekend days, holidays and occasional evenings.
- Minimum commitment of 10 weeks on site to complete a minimum of 400 hours of service
- Be able to lift 30 – 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Able to read and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Able and willing to work where exposed to animals, animal byproducts, carcasses (feed), dirt, excrement, unpleasant smells, and possibly loud conditions.
- Willing to assist with administrative, guest relations and housekeeping tasks as needed.
- Commit to all safety protocols and personnel policies.
- Must provide proof of tetanus/booster shot within past seven years and a negative tuberculosis (TB) skin test result.
What to expect/
- Assist with animal husbandry, diet prep.
- Collaborate with veterinary team to prepare treatment for animals.
- Assist team members with light housekeeping, general maintenance, and guest relations.
- 10 week program, working full time to complete 400 hours of job training.
- Routine verbal feedback.
- Letters of recommendation after commitment fulfilled.
- College/University credit hours
- Being part of a Global Federation of Sanctuary accredited team.
How to apply
Please email resume, 3 Letters of Recommendation, and when you are available to begin to email@example.com. Please put ‘Intern’ in the subject line of the email. We do our best to respond within 7 business days to go over the next steps in the process.